Indian man dies after being trapped in MRI machine

A man in the Indian city of Mumbai is dead after being sucked into a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine, an accident that has sparked concerns about the chaotic and sometimes dangerous conditions in India’s government-run hospitals.

Relatives said that Rajesh Maru had entered an MRI testing room at the hospital holding a cylinder of oxygen, after a hospital staff member gave him the OK to proceed. They didn’t know that the machine was turned on, and Maru was pulled into it and trapped by the machine’s magnetic force, according to local news reports.

Maru died within minutes, his hand trapped against the machine by the leaking oxygen tank. He was freed and taken to the emergency room in 10 minutes but pronounced dead on arrival.

An autopsy report said he died from excessive air entering his lung, according to the Indian Express. Authorities are investigating the incident.

Three people – a doctor, and two hospital assistants – have been arrested on suspicion of negligence.

“It is a tragic incident and we will cooperate with police officials,” Ramesh Bharmal, the dean of Bai Yamunabai Laxman Nair Charitable Hospital, told NDTV news channel.

MRI machines work through extremely powerful magnets and radio waves that scan the body and give an image of internal tissue. When the machine is on, all metal objects must be kept away from it. (The Washington Post)

Facebook Comments

Nurse Admin

Hi, thanks for visiting and supporting InfoNurses! For more nursing information and updates in social media, you may also Like and Follow our Facebook page Infonurses.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *